There have been four consecutive years of changes to examinations and performance tables which have come into effect, which mean that the performance tables cannot be compared like for like with those of previous years.
In the summer of 2016, the tables were changed drastically, and new headline measures were introduced:
- Progress 8 (a value-added measure)
- Attainment 8 (an average points score measure)
In 2017, students sat the first of the reformed GCSEs in Maths, English Language and English Literature which are graded 9-1 rather than A*-G. These courses are 100% final exam, with no controlled assessment. Approximately half the remaining GCSEs reformed to 9-1 in 2018, whilst other GCSEs remain A*-G, with the remainder reforming for 2019.
Revised headline measures for 2018 include:
- Grade 5-9 in both English and Maths (Good pass)
- Progress 8
- Attainment 8
- Ebacc Average Points Score
- Grade 4-9 in both English and Maths (Standard pass) will also be published but is not a headline measure.