Overview of KS4
There are a variety of units to study in Health and Social Care.
- Unit R021: Essential values of care for use with individuals in care settings
- Unit R022: Communicating and working with individuals in health, social care and early years settings
- Optional Units
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through three pieces of coursework and one exam – all equally weighted.
What skills will I need?
Health and Social Care involves a lot of coursework, you will need:
- An interest in health and social care related jobs
- Good reading and extended writing skills
- An excellent homework record
- Good organisational skills
- The confidence to go out into the community and talk to people doing different jobs
- The ability to find your own information and conduct research
- To be able to think for yourself and work independently
- Study and revision skills for the examined unit
- Determination and the ability to remain motivated in order to complete coursework
- Time management
What happens in lessons?
- Work in groups to share ideas and compare information
- Spend time researching and writing up controlled assessment
- Visit relevant health and/or social care settings to collect primary research
- Develop research and presentation skills
- Use the internet and health promotion materials to devise health plans
- Carry out health promotion activities
- Design and create resources to promote health
- Use real-life stories and situations to apply knowledge
Please be aware these documents are only draft versions.