Operation Christmas Child
Operation Christmas Child (Shoebox Appeal)
About the Shoebox Appeal
- World’s largest Christmas charity in the world, run by the Christian charity Samaritan’s Purse.
- They have been sending gift-filled shoeboxes to disadvantaged children since 1990
- The aim is to bring joy into the lives of these children, no matter what their ethnicity, race or religion
- The shoeboxes are sent across Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia
- Everyone all over the UK and Ireland are sending shoeboxes: individuals, primary and secondary schools, offices, supermarkets, churches, communities etc.
- Anyone can do it. Samaritan’s Purse is a Christian charity, but the sole aim is to bring happiness into children’s lives by a small, yet powerful, gift at Christmas.
How to do a Shoebox
- Take a medium sized shoebox – Shoezone will provide free empty shoeboxes, but if you asked in any shoe shop they will probably give you one, or beg one off a parent, neighbour etc.
- Wrap this shoebox in wrapping paper (to look like a Christmas present)
- Fill this with toys (soft toys, tennis ball…), educational supplies (felt pens, crayons, stickers…), hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, flannel…) and other items (e.g. sweets, gloves scarves, bracelets, hats, etc…)
- Decide if the box if for a boy or a girl, and what age range and fill in the small form, including £2.50 (to cover transport costs)
- Secure the box by putting an elastic band around it and hand in an reception in school
DEADLINE for bringing the shoeboxes into school: November 18th!!! At the latest!
It will not cost you a lot, but will make a huge impact to a child’s life. Help us to bring joy to children this Christmas, and to give as many shoeboxes as we possibly can! All students and staff are encouraged to help and give as generously as possible, please, please help us make a difference.
Leaflets (with all the information about what CAN and CANNOT be put in a shoebox and the necessary form for the £2.50 and what age range the gift is for) will be distributed around all the forms, but are also available on request from reception and the library.
Any questions speak to Rachael Evans 12F from the Christian Union, or e-mail on wssRachaelEvans@wickersley.net
Christian Union is every Tuesday Lunchtime in Conference Room 1…drop by if you have any questions!