Wickersley Y7’s do the Double!
Website Archive
Tuesday 23rd April 2013


On Saturday 20th April the Y7 Boys Football team competed in the Rotherham Schools Cup Finals held here at Wickersley against an Aston team they had lost against during the season. The Y7’s started the match brightly with Robert Matthewman putting them ahead with a left-footed strike into the top corner. Wickersley were putting the pressure on and had a strong penalty claim after a foul on Matthewman turned down. Wickersley did then received a penalty following a handball in the area; Jack Rafferty stepped up but unfortunately places his shot just wide. From the resulting goal kick Aston broke and managed to grab an equaliser showing Wickersley just how cruel football can be – half time 1 – 1 and all to play for with no one prepared for what about to take place. Wickersley started off the second half strong and found themselves 4 – 1 to the good with Finley McKeith scoring an excellent placed shot into the roof of the net and a slight bit of fortune with an Aston defender turning the ball into his own net following a Rhys Walker corner. Mattheman produced a moment of brilliance by taking on the whole of the Aston defence and firing the ball past the keeper to give Wickersley a three goal advantage. Wickersley seemed in control of the game but a second goal directly from an Aston free-kick reminded Wickersley they needed to defend as well as attack; 4 – 2. Wickersley managed to regain their three goal margin through Mattheman who sprung the offside trap and calmly took it passed the Goalkeeper to slot into an empty net and complete his hat-trick but Aston soon hit back on the break and kept themselves firmly in the game making it 5 – 3. Brooklyn Whitmill then found himself through on goal and calmly slipped it passed to keeper to make it 6 – 3 to Wickersley then another own goal from an Aston defender, this time from a MacKenzie Forster corner gave Wickersley a 7 – 3 lead with 15 minutes remaining. Instead of giving up on the game Aston came back at Wickersley and scored two goals in quick succession to reduce the deficit to just two goals and with 10 minutes remaining the score was 7 – 5 with Aston firmly on top. Wickersley defended assertively but a free header from a free kick resulted in Aston scoring a 6th with 5 minutes left to play and the momentum strongly with them. The boys dug deep and managed to keep Aston at bay resulting in game finishing 7 – 6 in Wickersley’s favour and the boys crowned Rotherham Champions. Robert Matthewman deservedly picked up the Man of the Match Award but all 15 squad members contributed towards the win and did themselves, their parents and the school proud.

After all the excitement of Saturday a select few of the boys had to put their cup win to the back of their minds as on Monday 22nd April they attended Goodwin Sports Centre in Sheffield to compete in the South Yorkshire Futsal Competition after winning the Rotherham Finals back in May. The boys came up against strong opposition from across the county with Springs Academy, Balby Carr and Netherwood all taking part. Wickersley produced a dominant display from the first whistle winning the competition without losing a game with captain Jamie Bell collecting a second piece of silverware within the space of 3 days on behalf of the team. The squad included Mark Newbould, Rhys Walker, Jamie Bell, Izaak Parsons, Jack Rafferty, Finley McKeith and Robert Matthewman who will now represent South Yorkshire at the Regional Finals in Leeds on June 1st with a chance to progress to the National in London if they win, well done boys!



Related Articles

Wickersley Sixth Form Induction Day: 5th & 6th July |Y6 Transition Information