Biology offers a wide range of biological content and integrates theory with practical skills. It links to real life and the world around us. A well-respected qualification that requires dedication and hard work but offers a great deal of satisfaction and sense of achievement. You will develop extensive knowledge and understanding of different areas of Biology and how these areas link together.
What does this qualification cover?
The course covers a wide range of biological content, whilst at the same time integrating practical scientific skills, literacy and numeracy.The content range is broad, covering aspects of both animal and plant biology, ecology, biochemistry and newly developed genetic techniques. Entwined within this content are a wide range of investigative skills that must be met via in class practical assessments.
What will I study?
- Foundations in Biology: Cell structure, Biological Molecules, Enzymes, Biological Membranes, Cell Division and Differentiation.
- Exchange and Transport: Exchange Surfaces and Breathing, Transport in Animals, Transport in Plants.
- Biodiversity, Evolution and Disease: Communicable Diseases, Biodiversity, Classification and Evolution.
- Communication, Homeostasis and Energy: Excretion, Communication and Homeostasis, Neuronal Communication, Hormonal Communication, Plant and Animal Responses, Photosynthesis, Respiration.
- Genetics and Ecosystems: Cellular Control, Patterns of Inheritance, Manipulating Genomes, Cloning and Biotechnology, Ecosystems, Populations and Sustainability.
How will I be assessed?
To achieve an AS grade two exams will be taken at the end of Year 12.
To achieve an A2 grade three exams will be taken at the end of Year 13 (Y12 exams will be discounted).
Exams consist of a selection of multiple choice questions, short answers and extended responses. There is also a practical endorsement certificate that can be achieved by carrying out practical work throughout both years, awarded on completion of year Y13.
Where can it lead?
Biology lends itself to a wide variety of courses and careers. Some of these include Biochemistry, Botany, Forensic Science, Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy, Ecology, Landscaping, Physiotherapy, Biomedical Engineering, Police Officer, Zoology, Marine Biology, Genetic Technologist.
The possibilities are endless!
Mr A Rogers
Mrs E Amsbury
Mr J Turner
Miss P Royce
Miss F Grimmer