Why study Hospitality?
GCSE Hospitality will help you to develop many useful skills such as:
- Knowledge of the Catering and Hospitality Industry.
- Practical food preparation, cooking and service skills.
- An ability to work in a professional manner in a catering environment.
What will I study?
You will investigate the Catering and Hospitality Industry and learn about the local, national and international employment opportunities within it. You will also learn about other businesses in Hospitality such as hotels, pubs, restaurants, health clubs etc. You will study food from around the world and how to prepare and serve it to others.
How will I be assessed?
Hospitality involves theory work divided into twelve small booklets which is then examined in a 1 hour 15minute examination which will probably be online. This is worth 40%. A controlled assessment worth 60% is to plan and run a Hospitality event eg Awards Ceremony for 300 pupils and parents and a Christmas dinner for thirty guests. Several small events are organised to practise first such as Macmillan coffee morning (Oreo milkshakes and cookies for over one hundred pupils pupils)!
Hospitality units cover:
- The Catering and Hospitality Industry
- Jobs and careers
- Planning menus for functions
- Customer care
- Teamwork and communication
Contact Mrs P Kenwright for more details.