Music Department Aims
- Students have the opportunity to fully participate in music lessons, providing it is financially viable.
- Students are supported in selecting the appropriate instrument that they wish to learn.
- The physical environment allows students to have a range of lessons in a suitable surrounding.
- Staff, students and parents are aware of the commitment that learning an instrument will have on the school timetable and the advised level of commitment required out of school hours.
Instrumental tuition is provided weekly for at least 30 weeks per year by peripatetic music teachers. These staff are carefully selected and well-qualified specialist teachers.
Lessons last 20 minutes and are on a one to one basis.
All instruments must be covered by an adequate insurance policy of accidental damage, loss or theft. Wickersley School and Sports College is unable to accept liability for any loss or damage to instruments.
Please ensure your son/daughter’s instrument is clearly labelled with his/her name and address. Instruments should be left at the appropriate place in the Music Department and should be taken home at the end of each day.
Fees For Lessons
Each pupil is to pay a set contribution towards the cost of lessons (the rest will be subsidised by the school). This will be the same for all pupils, regardless of which instrument they learn or how many other pupils share the lesson (maximum two pupils in a group).
Fees will be charged as a termly lump sum to be billed prior to the beginning of each term, and payment must be received before lessons can be taken. Parents will be asked to sign an agreement to these terms before committing to the lessons.
How to Pay
Our finance department will send out payment details direct to the name and address provided to school. All payment letters will have a personal Barcode this can be taken to any shop that accepts PAYPOINT and paid for in cash.
PLEASE NOTE WE CAN NOT ACCEPT ANY CASH/CHEQUE PAYMENT DIRECTLY THROUGH SCHOOL. Please contact our finance office if you are experiencing difficulties making payment.
Text Messages For Absence
Students are expected to attend lessons punctually and lessons missed through illness or absences are normally forfeited.If a student misses a lesson an email will be sent home to inform the parents/guardians of the pupil. Pupils should report to the Creative Arts Office to explain any absences.
- 20 minute lessons
- Minimum of 30 lessons per year
- Billed prior to the beginning of term
- Pupils come out of normal lessons
- Lesson Timetables on rotation
- Text Messages sent for absences
- Pupils expected to attend extra curricular activities
* See Payment Fees for further details
Students receiving instrumental tuition at Wickersley School and Sports College are expected to attend at least one extra curricular activity per week.
It is hoped that students will audition for County Bands and Orchestras in the future.
Music groups are often asked to play at local events within the community and students are expected to take part in these occasions. Those pupils who attend extra-curricular activities will collect points towards the Music Award Scheme. Prizes include a Music Department Memory Stick and Music Download Vouchers.
Currently these include:
- Senior Choir
- Concert Band
- Brass Group
- Percussion Group
- Ukulele Group
- Mrs Barker (Woodwind)
- Mr Cowley (Vocals)
- Mr Hearne (Guitar)
- Mr Kohut (Percussion)
- Mr Mansfield (Brass)
- Ms Snaith (Cello)
- Mr Simpson (Piano/Keyboard)
- Mrs Taylor (Violin)
- Mrs Chandler (Oboe/Bassoon)
- Mrs Pinder (Piano)